IPrA 2021: 17th International Pragmatics Conference
Special Theme: The Pragmatics of Inclusion
June 27–July 2, 2021
ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Winterthur, Switzerland
The 17th International Pragmatics Conference will be held in Winterthur, Switzerland, from 27 June to 2 July 2021.
The program consists of four categories of events:
Panel contributions: thematic sessions organized around accepted panel proposals to which contributions can be submitted spontaneously as well as on invitation
The accepted panels cover the whole spectrum of pragmatics: From Language Socialization in Parent-Child Interaction to the comprehensibility of language for specific purposes for a broader public or the analysis of policies and practices of communication between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples of Canada.
Download the full list of panels.
Lectures: individually submitted papers for oral presentation, grouped thematically after evaluation and acceptance
Posters: individually submitted papers to be displayed as posters during the entire conference week, with a discussion period exclusively devoted to posters on Thursday afternoon
Plenary lectures: a total of six plenary lectures will be presented. Plenary sessions are planned for Sunday afternoon, Wednesday morning, and Friday afternoon.
- David Beaver, University of Texas, Austin, USA (website)
- Amy Kyratzis, University of California at Santa Barbara, USA (website) - Susan Ervin-Tripp Lecture
- Carmen Lee, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (website)
- Miriam Locher, University of Basel, Switzerland (website)
- Maria Sifianou, University of Athens, Greece (website)
- Deborah Tannen, Georgetown University, USA (website) - recipient of IPrA's John J Gumperz Lifetime Achievement Award 2021
In addition, a plenary Roundtable is being planned on the history and development of pragmatics, based on an extensive review of journal and conference contents.
Note that IPrA membership is required for submitting an abstract (with all deadlines in 2020) as well as for presenting during the conference (in 2021), and that membership always runs from 1 January to 31 December, no matter at what time in the year it is applied for.