Application for Grants
In applying for a Solidarity Award, individuals or affiliates applying on behalf of an individual must supply all the following information by email:
- A copy of the abstract accepted to the upcoming AILA World Congress. This means that applications can be submitted only after the review of paper proposals for the AILA World Congress has been completed.
- One document in PDF format, containing a) a letter of application giving the motivation of the applicant to participate, the reasons why participation without the award might be impossible, and how the applicant intends to make use of the congress participation afterwards and b) a CV from the applicant, showing evidence of academic excellence and/or promise.
- One document in PDF format containing the proposed budget for the expenses, also specifying whether the applicant seeks either
:: a 'full' award, meant to cover travel costs, accommodation and congress fees, or
:: a 'travel' award, meant to cover travel costs and congress fees.
- A letter of support (digital document in PDF format) from an AILA affiliate association, an AILA Research Network, or a senior academic who is acquainted with the candidate's work.
In addition to financial need and academic merit of application, the selection committee will also consider applicants' potential for regional networking on behalf of AILA within their applied linguistics community after the congress as well as envisaged channels of dissemination of information gained through congress participation. Such aspects should be addressed in the letter of application.
- To be entitled to receive the funds, solidarity awardees must deliver a presentation at the AILA World Congress.
- Moreover, awardees must provide the AILA Executive Board with a one-page report handed in on the last conference day at the latest; the reports will be published on the AILA website.
- The solidarity award is paid in USD after the conference by bank transfer or in cash in a lump sum by the AILA Treasurer.
- It is up to the awardee how to use the funds. There are no top-up payments if the sum of the solidarity award is not sufficient to cover the costs.
Applications for a Solidarity Award are submitted in a zipped file to:
Prof. Christina Gitsaki
In case of any further queries, applicants should send an email to the Chair of the Solidarity Committee of the AILA Executive Board:
Prof. Azirah Hashim.
Deadline for submission of applications for Solidarity Awards:
December 20, 2019
The candidates will be informed about the evaluation of their application by:
January 31, 2020