Call for Applications for the Editorship of TEANGA
The Irish Association for Applied Linguistics (IRAAL) invites applications for the editorship of TEANGA, The Journal of the Irish Association for Applied Linguistics, for a period of three years from October 2020.
TEANGA is a double-blind, peer-reviewed academic journal which publishes papers on topics related to all aspects of applied linguistics. TEANGA was first published by IRAAL in 1979. Papers, of up to 6,000 words, are written in Irish or English. Originally devoted exclusively to papers presented at IRAAL seminars and conferences, TEANGA now includes a general selection of papers submitted in response to calls, as well as book reviews and other contributions in applied linguistics. Many issues of TEANGA are focused on a particular theme, although coverage of a range of issues is also maintained. TEANGA has been an open-access journal since 2017 at https://journal.iraal.ie. The current editors of the journal are Stephen Lucek, Colin Flynn and Úna Bhreathnach.
Expressions of interest are invited from individuals or editorial teams. Please consider the duties and selection criteria below before making contact. The current editors will work with the incoming editor(s) during a transition period. This is a voluntary role without remuneration, but one which will provide the editor(s) with the opportunity to make a strong academic contribution to the discipline of applied linguistics and to an international audience of scholars.
Please forward expressions of interest by email to the IRAAL Honorary Secretary, Dr Iker Erdocia (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 31 May 2020. For further information about this role, please contact the editors (email@example.com).
Duties of Editor(s) include:
- Publishing an annual call for papers
- Managing the submission process of papers in both English and Irish and appointing/working with additional expert reviewers where necessary
- Screening submissions; appointing suitable reviewers; working with authors as they revise; editing; proofreading; and corresponding with authors and reviewers
- Establishing deadlines for reviews and revisions, assessing revisions or resubmitting to reviewers as appropriate
- Appointing and working with guest editors for special issues
- Appointing and working with publishers, authors and reviewers for book reviews
- Journal and website management; management of Crossref, DOAJ indexing, archiving, etc.
- Publishing one issue per year
- Promoting TEANGA through indexing, publicity and outreach to the international community
- Attending IRAAL national executive committee meetings, reporting regularly to the IRAAL national executive committee through the Chair, and reporting to the IRAAL membership at its AGM.
- Any other duties as agreed by the IRAAL national executive committee
- Prior experience as a peer-reviewed scholar, researcher and editor/guest editor of academic works, with a sound understanding of applied linguistics
- Ability to work in both English and Irish
- Capacity to work autonomously and proactively in order to advance the journal’s interests
- Capacity to set and maintain review and publication timelines and schedules
- Capacity to report clearly and regularly to the IRAAL national executive committee and to communicate with the IRAAL membership and community of researchers
- Experience in communicating with authors and reviewers
- Capacity to manage the technical aspects of journal publication
- It will be preferable for editors to have institutional backing to assume this role, e.g. that the editorship to be recognized as an academic output in their home institution(s)