AILA President’s Interim Report 2018
Dear AILA Members, International Committee, and Executive Board,
Building on the momentum of the AILA 2017 World Congress in Rio, AILA has engaged in both organizational development and outreach. The aim of the measures taken in the last 12 months has been to strengthen AILA’s potential and foster our impact as the global organization in our field – a field of high social relevance.
Measures to develop our outreach and impact include launching four workgroups. They focus on:
- Interweaving academic networks
- Endorsing socially relevant policies
- Deepening strategic collaboration
- Leveraging the Word of the Year initiatives
Measures to develop our organizational potential include ititiating projects that include:
- fundraising for and launching the interactive AILA website
- enacting the AILA Multilingual Matters Library Award
- getting the first AILA affiliates’ tandem on the road
- establishing annual discussions with national affiliates at their congresses
Moreover, we have strengthened our legal and financial base. And it has been a great pleasure to collaborate with the EB members – and with colleagues from ANeLA and AFLA while preparing the next AILA World Congresses, 2020 in Groningen, Netherlands, and 2023 in Lyon, France.
Daniel Perrin, President, International Association of Applied Linguistics