Comet 2019: 17th International Conference on Communication, Medicine, and Ethics
June 26-28, 2019
CfP Deadline: December 20, 2018
University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
We are pleased to announce the call for proposals for the 17th International Conference on Communication, Medicine, and Ethics (COMET), which will be hosted by University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia, 26-28 June 2019. The Pre-COMET Masterclass is scheduled for 25 June 2019.
The COMET conference aims to bring together scholars from different disciplinary backgrounds involving various healthcare specialties and the human and social sciences. A special emphasis is on the dissemination of ongoing research in language/discourse/communication studies in relation to healthcare education, patient participation and professional ethics.
The submission for proposals opens on Thursday September 6, 2018. All proposals must be submitted by Thursday 20 December 2018.
PLENARY SPEAKERS INCLUDE:
- Professor Phyllis Butow, School of Psychology, University of Sydney
- Professor Charlotte Rees, Monash Centre for Scholarship in Health Education, Monash University
- Professor Srikant Sarangi, Danish Institute of Humanities and Medicine, Aalborg University
- Professor Howard Waitzkin, Dept of Sociology, University of New Mexico; Dept of Medicine, University of Illinois
CONFERENCE THEMES INCLUDE:
- Client-Professional Encounters (involving doctors, counsellors, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, speech and language therapists, psychotherapists, etc.)
- Communicating Risk and Uncertainty
- Communication Skills Training
- Distributed Expertise among Professionals and Clients
- Ethics and Communication
- Evidence in Diagnosis and Non-Diagnosis
- Health and Disability
- Health, Wellbeing and the Lifespan
- Health Literacy
- Interpreter Mediated Healthcare Delivery
- Intercultural Communication in Health
- Interprofessional Communication and Hospital Management Systems
- Media and Health Communication
- Medical Education
- Narratives of Illness Experience
- Public Understanding of Health and Illness
- Quality of Life and Quality of Care
- Representation of the Body
- Research Ethics
- Health Technologies and Medical Informatics
- (Shared) Decision Making
- Tailoring Health Messages
- Values and Responsibilities in Professional Practice
Proposals must be submitted via email to COMETsubmission@id.aau.dk.
Proposals include panels, individual presentations (oral or poster) and work-in-progress roundtables.
For all submissions, please use the relevant submission template which can be downloaded from the conference website (www.2019cometconference.com.au – Call For Proposals Tab)
- Panel submission
- Individual submission (oral or poster)
- Work-in-progress roundtable
Panels should address a common theme, content or methodological area, and will be scheduled for 90 minutes.
In addition to individual proposals (no more than 250 words each), please also submit an overview description of no more than 300 words highlighting the panel’s content and objectives. Provide information about the panel members and the coordinator, stating full institutional affiliations and e-mail addresses.
2) INDIVIDUAL PAPERS
Proposals for individual papers (no more than 250 words) must clearly indicate a preference for oral or poster presentation. Following the peer review process, the organisers will determine whether a proposal is selected for oral or poster presentation. Poster presenters must be physically present to discuss their work during the dedicated sessions. Oral presentations will typically be scheduled in sessions of 90 minutes, with 30 minutes (20 minutes for presentation + 10 minutes for discussion) allocated to each individual presentation.
3) WORK-IN-PROGRESS ROUNDTABLE
Proposals for work-in-progress roundtables should be no more than 250 words targeted at oral presentation. The roundtables will be in sessions of 90 minutes, with individual presentations lasting 30 minutes (15 minutes for presentation + 15 minutes for discussion). This format is particularly suitable for early career researchers pursuing doctoral and postdoctoral studies and for experienced researchers undertaking/planning pilot projects or interested in reporting preliminary results. Please indicate clearly if your proposal falls into this category.
Proposal submission deadline: Thursday 20 December 2018.
PROPOSAL SELECTION CRITERIA
All proposals undergo a double blind peer-review process.
Please note that COMET conference policy is one main oral presentation per author. You may choose to submit more than one proposal, but normally only one proposal will be accepted for oral presentation. Any additional accepted proposals may be presented as poster(s).
There is no fixed template for writing proposals but authors are urged to attend to the following criteria which will form the basis for peer review:
- originality of the topic and its relevance to the conference
- background contextualisation of the study
- relationship between title and content
- structural organisation
- theoretical/methodological appropriateness
- clarity of claims and relevance
Individual panels are reviewed in their entirety on the above criteria but also on the basis of their relevance to broader issues in communication, medicine, and ethics; the overall coherence of the proposal; and the usefulness of the panel to participants.
Decisions about acceptance/rejection will be communicated on Friday 15 February 2019. Following formal acceptance, the responsible (presenting) authors must register participation prior to the finalisation of the conference programme. Early registration opens on Tuesday 30 October 2018.
Please visit the conference website, www.2019cometconference.com.au or send an email to COMETsubmission@id.aau.dk for further details regarding submission guidelines or our event manager, email@example.com for additional information about the conference.
On behalf of the Local Organising Committee
COMET 2019, University of South Australia