Malaysian Association of Applied Linguistics International Conference (MAALIC) 2018
Applied Linguistics and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Language, Communication and the Professions
December 3-4, 2018
University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
In September 2015, the United Nations adopted the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In support of these goals, several of which imply direct attention to issues of language, the Malaysian Association of Applied Linguistics (MAAL) is organising this conference with the theme “Applied Linguistics and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Language, Communication and the Professions”. This conference provides an opportunity to explore how language and communication in a multiplicity of languages and settings is vital in achieving these universal sustainable development goals.
- Professor Tan Sri Dato' Dzulkifli Abdul Razak (Rector, International Islamic University Malaysia & Senior Advisor, Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaya)
- Professor Vijay Bhatia (Visiting Professor, Hellenic American University Athens (Greece) & Adjunct Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- To raise interest in practical and policy-engaged linguistic efforts across different sectors (e.g. business,
diplomacy, economics, health, technology) and communities;
- To explore the role of languages and skills in equipping the workforce and industry to deal with emerging issues and future challenges in the workplace;
- To discuss how language enables and disables individuals in dierent professions and communities;
- To deliberate on the language needs of vulnerable
groups and how to manage this challenge within the
The sub-themes of the conference consist of the
- Language Policy and Planning
- Language in the Workplace
- Language for Specific Purposes
- Language for Vocational Purposes
- Language in Education
- Language and Law
- Language, Skills and Sustainable Economic Growth
- Language and Industrial Revolution 4.0
- 1st Call for Abstracts: 2 July 2018
- 2nd Call for Abstracts: 1 August 2018
- Extended Deadline for Abstract Submission: 30 September 2018
- Notification of Acceptance: 15 October 2018
- Deadline for Presenter Registration: 1 November 2018
- Deadline for Participant Registration: 1 December 2018
- MAALIC 2018 Conference: 3-4 December 2018
Papers will be allocated 20 minutes for oral presentation and another 10 minutes for questions and answers. Please submit a 250 to 300-word abstract, TNR 12 font and a 60-word biography in paragraph format to the Secretariat latest by 30 September 2018.
The biography note should mention the presenter’s name and title, affiliation, country, email address and title of the abstract.
Kindly submit your abstract to: email@example.com
Authors of selected papers will be invited to publish their work in selected publications.
Fees may apply.
Who Should Attend?
The conference is expected to benefit students, educators, academics, researchers, industries, NGOs, government sector,
policy-makers and all those with an interest in the role of language in society.
Participants/Presenters: Normal RM 250, Student RM 150
MAAL Members RM 200, Student RM 120
International Participants/Presenters USD 70
The registration fee covers a conference kit and includes all lunch, coffee and tea breaks served during the conference days. For students, proof of student status is required. Registration is only complete upon receipt of payment and your details.
MAALIC 2018 Secretariat
Centre for ASEAN Regionalism University of Malaya (CARUM)
Level 1, Wisma R&D
University of Malaya
Jalan Pantai Baharu
59990 Kuala Lumpur